Tuesday 15 May 2018

Threads

Last night was the launch of Threads - The Bath Spa University MA in Creative Writing Anthology and a chance for graduates to pitch to agents. The 5th floor of Waterstones, Piccadilly was buzzing with students waiting for the agents to arrive.  It was good to hold a copy of the book - the volunteers on the anthology launch team, led by Jane Hammond, have really done us proud.  The cover, designed by Madeleine Pilkington, is stunning with its embossed silver threads and I managed to tell her how much I loved it.



I was a bundle of nerves, despite a new frock and telling myself that agents are humans too. But, as I spoke to my third agent of the evening I was in my stride and actually enjoying myself. My business cards were a hit and having the photo of the Salvesen Sisters on the reverse helped as a talking point. By the end of the evening I had managed to speak to seven agents, four of whom expressed an interest in my novel, The Salvesen Sisters. Despite the competition everyone was kind - one person going so far as to chase after an agent saying, you must speak to Anita. 


With Amanda - getting ready to face those agents

It was so nice to catch up with friends and tutors and I left Waterstones buoyed up by a sense of achievement and of course relief!








No comments:

Post a Comment